Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Untitled One



This piece is called Untitled One.  It's high up on my living room wall (see my tree mural in the background?), so I don't have the exact measurements - it's 16"x20" if I recall correctly.  It's a mixed media piece - acrylic, wire and plaster on canvas. 

The blue-green and black-red areas are all raised up from the canvas by applying plaster to it and then shaping it.  The black-red areas have very fine wires (that don't show up well in the photo) protruding from them, looping and intertwining with each other, reaching for the blue-green area. The abstract shape in the center is a common theme in many of my pieces.  It represents different things in different pieces - usually people's souls, but sometimes ideas or concepts. 

This piece was created (oddly enough) in a happy time in my life, while I was reflecting upon past struggles.  The piece is about how the rough and ugly world is trying to drag down the person - the wires trying to trap them - while the person fights against the world in order to maintain their strength and serenity in the midst of the chaos.

For those who might be more interested in the tree mural in the background... here's my living room wall.  I decided on a tree so that the paintings could hang from the branches like fruit...




Now, I'm off to put the finishing touches on tomorrow night's worship service.

Have a blessed night!
Rogue Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment